Genetic Diversity in Durum Wheat Based on RFLPs, Morphophysiological Traits, and Coefficient of Parentage
Impact factor: 1.878 (Year: 1996)
MetadataShow full item record
Timeless limited access
Enrique Autrique, Nachit Miloudi, Philippe Monneveux, Steven D. Tanksley, Mark Earl Sorrells. (1/6/1996). Genetic Diversity in Durum Wheat Based on RFLPs, Morphophysiological Traits, and Coefficient of Parentage. Crop Science, 36 (3), pp. 735-742.
Estimation of genetic diversity present in gene pools is an important determination for breeding programs. This study was conducted to determine the level of variation in durum wheat cultivars (Triticum turgidum L. var durum) based on different measures. Genetic diversity in durum wheat was measured in a collection of 113 improved cultivars and landraces of diverse ecogeographical origin by means of restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP), morphophysiological traits, and coefficient of parentage (COP). Thirty-nine clones and a single restriction enzyme were used to measure the RFLP-based genetic distance. Average taxonomic distances were calculated for the morphophysiological traits evaluated in four location-years. Lower genetic distances were observed for both RFLP and morphophysiological traits for the improved cultivars and for some landraces from Morocco and Jordan, while genetic distances were larger for the rest of the landraces. Patterns of variation for morphophysiological traits were associated with days to heading, plant height, and harvest index. Landraces contained 99% of the total fragments observed in the pool oi improved varieties and showed 13% unique fragments. Coefficient of parentage analysis revealed 15 ancestral lines that contributed 72% of the genetic make up of improved cultivars. Thirty-nine different ancestors contributed to the remaining 28%. Correlation of distances based on different measures was higher for average taxonomic distance and Nei's genetic distance (r = 0.47) while COP relationship with the other two measures was lower. Narrower genetic diversity in breeding lines based on the measures used, suggests the utilization of other sources of variation.
- Agricultural Research Knowledge