Focus on Seed Programs The Syrian seed industry
Abdul Mohsen Said Omar. (1/1/2002). Focus on Seed Programs The Syrian seed industry. Lebanon: International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA).
Syria is located at 35oN latitude and 38oE longitude in the eastern shore of the Mediterranean sea bordering Turkey in the west and north, Iraq and Jordan in the east, and Lebanon and Palestine in the South. The estimated population is about 18 million with annual growth rate of 3.2%. In Syria, the climate is distinctively continental with cool and rainy winters and dry hot summers. There are five agroecological zones based on average annual rainfall: Zone 1 (>350mm), Zone 2 (300-350mm), Zone 3 (250-300mm), Zone 4 (200-250mm) and Zone 5 (<200mm). Syria covers an area of 18.5 million ha of which 14.6, 13.3, 7.1 9.9 and 55.1% are located in Zone 1, 2,3,4 and 5, respectively. From the total land area about 5.7 million ha (31%) is cultivated. Most of the cultivated area (83%) is rainfed while the remaining 17% is irrigated mostly for wheat and cotton production.
- Agricultural Research Knowledge